Haztech has an opening for qualified MEDICAL LAB ASSISTANTS to join our team on a full-time and casual basis in Regina, SK.
The duties will include but not be limited to specimen collection, labeling, and operation of lab equipment.
- Prepares client (e.g., identification, obtains consent, provides
instruction of collection procedure) for specimen procurement
- Performs specimen collection (phlebotomy)
- Labels all blood samples correctly
- Ensure stability of specimen is maintained and adheres to all timing protocols
- Centrifuges, aliquots and distributes specimens to testing facility
Pre-analytical testing according to standard operating procedures is also required. The goal with this role is to optimize lab procedures and succeed in producing quality results.
- Data entry
- Extraction of specimens for PCR testing
- Operation of thermocycler
- Faxing and scanning results
- Maintains and troubleshoots equipment, as required
- Participates in quality assurance/quality control programs as required by government regulations and local protocols
Candidates must have superb organization, communication, and interpersonal skills. The ability to work independently also plays an important role. All safety guidelines must be strictly followed to maintain a clean and orderly environment.
- Perform various administrative tasks (e.g., booking appointments and telephone reception)
- Maintain inventory
- Provide guidance to the primary function of others, including training
- Ensure proper storage and/or disposal of specimens, reagents, and biohazardous waste, as per department procedures and policies
- Wash and decontaminate benches, countertops, sinks, and equipment
Qualifications, Skills & Competencies
- Medical Laboratory Assistant – Applied Certificate
- Proven experience as Lab Assistant/Technician or relevant position
- Experience in operating electrical and non-electrical laboratory equipment
- TDG, WHMIS
- Knowledge of QHSE Systems, preventative measures, and laboratory best practices
- Ability to work autonomously and under pressure
- Professionally represent Haztech and provide exceptional service to all clients